Summary: Learn the five good reasons to delve into regular yoga practices for good health through this blog.
Anyone who hasn’t practiced the science of yoga mostly lives in the assumption that the science of yoga is a physical art form of strengthening and making the body flexible. Well, yoga is favored for its impeccable capability of conditioning the muscles, joints, tendons and amplifying their range of motion. However, the religious practitioners have also witnessed and experienced the infinite potential of the yogic discipline to transform the mental and spiritual health.
Yoga is an ancient work of asanas, pranayama, meditation, and shat kriyas for enhancing the functions of the body and mind directing the individuals towards a living that is happier, healthier, and peaceful. With the body engagement and uniform stretching, focus on breathing patterns and positive mindset. Yoga is the healthiest way to walk the path of clarity, contentment, and solidarity.
So, we have put together the best five reasons narrating how a regular yoga practice favors an individual whether a beginner or a veteran:
Peace of Mind:
One relationship that has fascinated the humanity across all cultures is the ‘mind-body’ relationship. The mind is about the thought process whereas the body is about the physical structure of the brain. And according to medical science and philosophy, there exists a connection and interaction between these two parts that allow the humans to function in a state known as ‘alive.’ For being fully alive with all the capacity and potential, it is imperative that the mind is at peace. Additionally, Yoga is the method that promotes a calm mind and an optimal functioning of the body organs thus fostering robust health.
- Meditation is the yogic tool for resting the brain in a tranquilizing state. Meditation is the science of relaxing the body with a focus on breath and gaining control over the unhealthy brain patterns. Mantra Meditation, Transcendental Meditation, Vipassana Meditation, and Zen Meditation are some of the styles for pacifying the stressful brain nerves.
Healthy Heart and Salubrious Organs:
“You can’t beat a healthy heart.” Indeed. The heart is the most precious commodity of human beings keeping them alive second by second. And, the science of yoga is what keeps the heart active and agile. The yoga practices of postures and breathing techniques maintain a balanced diastolic rate, lowers bad cholesterol levels, augments the blood circulation thus keeping the heart healthy. Next to the heart is the building blocks of the body– internal and external organs. A slightest pain or failure of even one organ results in disharmony within the body. Again, the art of moving the body in various forms (postures) is the best way to attain salubrious organs. Therefore, practice yoga postures regularly for healthy heart and organs.
- Yoga asanas are the maneuvering of the body into different shapes that stretches and strengthens the organs. The regular practice of yoga poses with attention to detail and breathing holistically benefit the body. Try Mountain pose, Tree pose, Prayer pose, Cobra pose, Downward-Facing Dog pose for overall heart and organ health
Trim and Tone:
Unwanted body fat is a key reason for poor health and wellness. Weight Gain not only increases extra pounds of body mass but substantially enhances the chances of getting trapped in numerous diseases: heart problems, diabetes, strokes, depression, and cancer. What’s the possible solution to reduce weight? Well, the ways are many but the trusted one remains the art of yoga as it naturally helps the practitioners shed extra fat from the body while assisting them to lead a healthy lifestyle. Regular yoga practices stimulate the sluggish glands and improve fat metabolism thereby resulting in Weight Management. The discipline of yoga integrates the wisdom of healthy eating for safe weight loss.
- Yogic Diet: Yoga emphasis on the inclusion of sattvic food and following a consistent schedule along with yoga practices for losing fat. Sattvic food is 100% vegetarian and light in nature that nourishes the whole body without adding bulk to it.
- Pranayama: Yogic breathing techniques magnify the oxygen supply in the body that boosts the metabolic system leading to natural weight loss and vitalizing the body. Certain pranayama techniques like Kapalbhati, Ujjayi, Bhastrika massage the abdominal muscles leading to ideal weight loss.
Cleanses the System:
Our body often becomes the dump house of toxins and waste material that tarnishes the internal working of the body. Yoga practices and yogic cleansing techniques thoroughly detoxify the system and increase the blood flow and nutrients in the body. As a result, the immune system is strengthened, energy levels soar high, and the aging process is delayed.
- Yoga practices of twisting yoga poses and other asanas detoxify the body at some level resulting in health and radiance.
- Shatkriya technique: Shatkarma or Shatkriya is a six-step purification procedure outlined in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika for eliminating the ama from within leading to holistic well-being.
With all its techniques–the science of yoga when practiced regularly affects the nervous system, endocrine system, abdominal organs, etc., in mystical ways for increasing the internal sense of harmony and imparting a positive outlook. Also, yoga is a performance of self-love that opens the heart to universal happiness and love.
Yoga is a profound healer. Practice it regularly for health and wellness much beyond strength and flexibility.
Meet the Author
Manmohan Singh is a passionate Yogi, Yoga Teacher and a Traveler in India. He is currently working with rishikulyogshsla.org. The Yoga Alliance affiliated school organizes a number of Yoga events such as Yoga teacher training India, Yoga workshops, Pranayama training and yoga retreat in India etc.