It’s not very often that I miss foods like pizza, but every now and then the craving hits. It’s a comfort and foodie thing I think. I’ve been wanting to try a cauliflower crust awhile now, so this was the perfect time to give it a try. I wanted something that was cheese, nut and coconut free and I think this turned out really well.
As always it is my goal to keep the recipe as simple as possible. Cauliflower is a neutral base and I love using herbs for flavor. I use eggs and tapioca starch as a binder. I love that it is low-carb and won’t spike blood sugar.
Instead of staying with the traditional tomato based sauce, I used my pesto sauce as a base and topped with roasted zucchini, yellow squash, red onion and bell pepper. Taking advantage of what is in season now keeps the price down and taste flavorful. Pre-roasting helps cut down on the moisture that will go into the crust which holds it together better.
Watch This Video For a Step-By-Step Tutorial
Seriously delicious and flavorful!
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free (option), vegetarian, soy free, grain free, coconut free (option), and paleo.
Cheese-Free Cauliflower Pizza Crust Topped with Pesto and Roasted Summer Vegetables
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried italian herbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/2 yellow squash
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tbsp pesto sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line pan with parchment paper.
- Slice zucchini and yellow squash to desired thickness, and cut your bell pepper into 1 inch pieces. Thinly slice red onion.
- Spread out evenly on pan and spray lightly with extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes, turning half way through.
- While vegetables are roasting, in a medium sized bowl add everything but the riced cauliflower and mix well. Stir in cauliflower.
- Make two small personal sized doughs on parchment paper and cook on 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Add pesto and vegetables and cook for another 8-10 minutes.