I had you at salted caramel right? This Dairy-Free Salted Caramel Flourless Chocolate cake is to die for. I had taste testers from all ages and all loved it. WHOO!!! Creating this actually took me out of my baking comfort zone but it was well worth it. My favorite part is the caramel sauce though. I love caramel and I haven’t had any in years due to it having both dairy and corn which I can’t tolerate. Creating a dairy free caramel sauce is the best thing ever. I’m putting it on my coconut milk ice cream, drizzling it on my cookies, and sometimes even just eating a spoonful. I think you’ll love it even if you can tolerate dairy, it’s that good.
Salted Caramel Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
First up, the cake. You will need 9 oz of a dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chip (I used Enjoy Life), 1/2 cup coconut sugar (allergic to coconut? No problem. Use sucanat sugar.), 6 eggs, 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil (if you don’t like coconut oil you can use butter), and 1/4 tsp sea salt. That’s it! Pretty awesome right? You’ll also need a 9-inch springform pan, hand mixer, rubber baking spatula, and mixing bowls.
Preheat your oven to 300. Oil the inside of the springform pan to prevent sticking. Then gently melt your chocolate chips in a double boiler with the coconut oil (or butter). Once melted completely, set aside to cool to room temperature. Separate the egg whites from the yolks into a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer on medium, beat the egg whites until they fluff up enough to form peaks, then slowly add the coconut sugar and mix in completely. Once the chocolate is room temp, mix in the egg yolks and salt by hand until mixed completely. (Pro tip: If the chocolate is too hot you’ll get scrambled eggs in your chocolate. Yuck.) Pour 1/3 of the egg white/sugar mixture into the chocolate and mix by hand with a rubber baking spatula. Then gently fold in the rest until mixed thoroughly. Be careful to not overbeat and “deflate” it. Pour cake batter into the springform pan and bake for 40 minutes.
Salted Caramel Sauce
While the cake is baking, it’s time to make your caramel sauce. You will need a 13.5 ounce can of full-fat coconut milk, a 1/2 cup coconut sugar, 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. In a small pan, add coconut milk and coconut sugar. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat, then reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Every few minutes use a whisk or rubber spatula to mix the sauce, being sure to scrape the bottom and sides to prevent burned flecks in your sauce. You will do this until the sauce coats a spoon. Mine took the full 40 minutes but every stovetop is a little different. Stir in salt and vanilla extract. Pour into a glass jar and let cool.
Remove the cake from the oven and let cool completely before attempting to removing the springy side. Once cool, add caramel sauce and sprinkle top with a couple more pinches of salt. You can serve then or refrigerate and enjoy for up to 3 days. (Pro tip: Save some caramel sauce to enjoy with other things like cookies and ice cream!)
Dairy-Free Salted Caramel Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 9 oz dairy-free semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil or butter
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Caramel Sauce
- 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Grease 9" springform pan with coconut oil to prevent sticking.
- Melt chocolate chips with coconut oil in a double boiler. Be sure to stir periodically for even melting. Once completely melted, set aside to let cool to room temperature.
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Set yolks aside in a small bowl. Add whites to a medium sized mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer on medium speed, whip egg whites until fluffy and peaks form.
- Slowly add coconut sugar to egg whites while still whipping with hand mixer until all sugar has been integrated.
- Add egg yolks and salt to room temperature chocolate and stir by hand with a rubber spatula until fully mixed.
- Using a rubber spatula, add 1/3 of egg white mixture to chocolate mixture. Mix gently. Then add the rest of the egg white mixture until fully integrated. Be sure to not overmix or your cake will go flat.
- Add mixture to greased springform pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Once the cake is in the oven, start making your caramel sauce.
- In a medium sized pot, add coconut milk and sugar. Mix well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium-low heat and stir every few minutes to prevent burned flecks in your sauce. Do this for 30-40 minutes until sauce coats a spoon.
- Add salt and vanilla extract, mix together then pour into a glass jar to let cool.
- Remove cake from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Once the cake is cool, add caramel sauce to the top of the cake. Serve immediately or refrigerate and enjoy in 3 days.