Meatloaf is an easy, family friendly, time saving meal that is a staple in many homes. Going grain free can make this fun food a bit of a challenge when the bread crumbs are removed. Few want to eat a lump of meat, no matter how well seasoned. So my trick is to make a paleo (ie grain free) veggie stuffed meatloaf to keep it light and pack some extra nutrition into my family.
Sure you can use almond flour but it is really easy to overdo the nut flours. Especially if you enjoy paleo treats like paleo bread, cookies, muffins, and brownies that use nut flours. My personal favorite option is to use vegetables. My kids are super picky so I love to stuff as much nutrition into their favorite foods as I can. Lucky for me, my kids have been well trained to not blink when there is green in their food so I can add dark leafy greens to almost everything.
I have found the best way to add vegetables to all kinds of recipes is to either use a large zester (like this one) or, my personal favorite, a food processor running until the pieces are incredibly small. You can do a little at a time for each recipe or do batches and store in appropriate containers in your freezer. Then just use as needed.
In this recipe I use carrot, cauliflower, zucchini, and spinach. All are mild tasting and easy to mask vegetables which is perfect. When it comes to meatloaf I like to mix two different meats, usually ground beef and ground sausage (whatever type I feel like at that time.) I’ve even added a little bit of liver from time to time. My kids know it’s there but they don’t taste it and they think it’ll give them x-ray vision. 😉 Then adding in your favorite spices add in even more flavor although if you use a preseasoned ground sausage, you don’t have to add anything else! Super easy. Mix everything together really well, place in a bread loaf pan and cook for 30-35 minutes at 350. Top with ketchup and enjoy!
Ideas for mixing up leftovers:
Crumble it up and add to spaghetti sauce.
Make it into a wrap with fresh tomato, lettuce and barbecue sauce.
Easy Paleo Veggie Stuffed Meatloaf
- 1 lb lean ground beef grass-fed if possible
- 1/2 lb sweet italian sausage
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup grated cauliflower
- 1/4 cup grated zucchini
- 1/3 cup fine chopped spinach if your kids won't notice 😉
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 cup ketchup organic is best
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Either grate your veggies with your zester or run in your food processor until the vegetables pieces are incredibly small.
- Place vegetables, meats, and spices into a bowl and mix well. I wear gloves and mix by hand.
- Place in your pan of choice, I use a bread loaf pan, and cook for 30-35 minutes (oven temps vary).
- Remove from oven and top with ketchup. Serve and enjoy!