I am so excited to share this recipe with you. Before I do, I want to share the background to developing this recipe.
A client needed a grab-and-go breakfast she could eat in the car while dropping her kids off at school and keep her full during her workout. The challenge was gluten, oat, dairy and egg free. I will admit I have been dragging my feet on making baked good without eggs.
Gluten free baked goods tend to crumble and eggs are a great binder. However, they aren’t necessary. I like to use a combination of two egg substitutes when I’m baking. For this recipe, I use flax eggs and baking soda and vinegar. It worked out fabulously!
They turned out FAN-tastic. They hold together nicely, no crumbling, the texture is divine and they are delicious. My taste testers loved them. Definitely a win.
Egg Free Almond Flour Muffins
- 2 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 flax eggs 3 tbsp finely ground flax meal and 7 tbsp filtered water or 3 whole eggs
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 tbsp softened coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup enjoy life mini chocolate chips or 1/3 cup dried fruit and 1 tbsp cinnamon or 1 cup blueberries, diced strawberries or raspberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Put liners in your cupcake tin
- In a medium sized bowl, add flax meal and water. Let sit a few minutes to gel.
- Place dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix well and try to smooth out any clumps in the almond flour.
- Once the flax and water gel, add all other wet ingredients and with a spoon, gently combine. Careful to not over mix.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips (or other ingredients you choose).
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze.