The holiday season is upon us and we love nothing better than decorating sugar cookies. I’ve tried several gluten free sugar cookie recipes over the years and was less than impressed. They either crumbled as soon as any pressure was applied, were hard as a rock, or tasted like chalk. This year I created my own recipe and I could not be more pleased with the results. They are chewy, hold together pretty darn well, and taste fantastic. I had many taste testers and I assure you it’s true.
I like to keep recipes simple, preferring to use just one flour. Unfortunately, when your goal is to recreate texture one has to be flexible. For this recipe, I use finely ground almond flour and also tapioca flour and of course, sugar. This isn’t a healthy cookie, it’s a cookie, and a delicious one at that.
To make this cookie you will need finely ground almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, salt, evaporated cane sugar, butter or coconut oil, egg or egg substitute, water, and vanilla extract.
If you can’t have eggs, substitute with one flax “egg.” Mix 1 tablespoon flax meal with 3 tablespoons hot water. Let sit for 5 minutes to gel, then add to your wet ingredients to mix.
Mix the flours, baking powder and salt together. Then in another bowl mix the sugar, egg, butter (or coconut oil), water and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and lightly mix completely. Be careful not to overmix.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet (like this one), and form dough into 2 inch sized balls. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. They will not brown so I do not recommend using that as an indicator.
Once done, remove from the oven, and place cookies on a cooling rack. For best results, cool completely before frosting.
If you like this recipe, check out these other desserts!
Almond Flour Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1 large egg or 1 flax egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add almond and tapioca flours, baking powder, and salt and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add sugar, butter, egg, water, and vanilla extra. Using a hand mixer on low, mix completely.
- Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredient and gently mix until mixed completely. Do not over mix.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet, use a small spoon and make into 2 inch sized balls. Bake for 12-15 minutes. They will not brown so don't look for that as an indicator.
- Once done, remove from the oven, and place cookies on a cooling rack.
- For best results, cool completely before frosting.