I just love the cranberry apple combination in desserts. I am always on a quest to make real food desserts and holidays do not change the need for our bodies to be nourished. When I went to college in the south, cobbler was present at every potluck and holiday event. Their cobblers were the smallest layer of a sugary fruit compote with 3 inches of cake. While delicious, it is in no way healthy. However, it did inspire this recipe.
I wanted to create a fruit bake with a yummy topping for those who wanted to still attend events like potlucks, church lunches, or holiday parties while still having healthy options to enjoy. I love the sweetness of apples mixed with the tartness of cranberries and so decided to make a gluten free apple cranberry crumble to bring to my events this year and years to come. (Update: 3 years later this is a Thanksgiving dinner staple.)
Apple and Cranberry are the perfect balance of sweet and tart and blend well with the caramel-y flavor of the dates all topped with delicious blend of rolled oats, cinnamon, and butter. The best part is how simple it is to throw together. I take my apples and cut them into bite size pieces, leaving the skin on. You can peel them if you want to, I like the added nutrition and less work. Place them in a bowl, add in your whole cranberries (fresh or frozen work), and add in your honey and 2 tsp of cinnamon powder. Mix until evenly coated with honey and cinnamon. The pour into a pie dish.
For the oat topping, open your dates in half and remove the pit. Cut into small slices and add to a bowl. Add in old fashioned rolled oats, melted butter, and another tsp of cinnamon powder. Mix well and evenly top your fruit mixture.
Cover with foil and cook in your preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and let the top crunch for about 5-8 minutes.
Gluten Free Apple Cranberry Crumble
- 6 medium sized apples
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries unsweetened
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 10 dates pits removed
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats certified gluten free
- 1/3 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp plus 1 tsp cinnamon divided
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat a 9x9 pan in butter or coconut oil.
- Decore your apples and chop into either slices or cubes. Whatever you prefer. Place into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add in cranberries, honey, and 2 tsp cinnamon. Mix well then add to your pan.
- Remove pits from dates and slice in half lengthwise. Then slice thinly. In a mixing bowl, add in date slices with oats, cinnamon, and salt.
- Melt butter and mix in into the oat mixture.
- Layer evenly on top of your fruit.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and let cook for 5-8 more minutes for the top to brown lightly.