One of the things I love about my friends is that they aren’t bashful when they want me to develop a recipe. With the holidays coming up, one friend asked me to develop a biscotti recipe. She loves being with family and friends, drinking coffee and crunching into a delicious slice of biscotti during the holidays. I thought it was a fantastic idea and after brainstorming together, we decided we wanted a cinnamon raisin oat biscotti with the added crunch of oats on top.
I am a huge fan of cinnamon raisin cookies so this is right up my alley. As a former chronic dieter, I have never really been a big bread person, but I have to say, it is a really nice addition to coffee when savoring the time together.
The base (and only) flour in this recipe is oat flour. You make it by putting rolled oats into your food processor and blending for 1-2 minutes until it has the consistency of flour and no big chunks. I usually make a big batch so I can use it other recipes without having to wash my processor again. I store mine in an airtight container in my pantry.
In one bowl I mix all the dry ingredients together. The oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Then in a separate bowl I mix together the honey, eggs, and vanilla. Once completely mixed, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon. At this point gently fold in the raisins. On a baking sheet, make a loaf 6 (ish) inches wide and no more than 2 inches high. Bake on 325 for 20-25 minutes. (The time depends on your oven.)
Remove the cooked loaf from the oven and let cool 10-15 minutes. Once cooled, slice into 1 to 1 1/2 inch slices. Place back into the oven and lightly toast each side. Then enjoy with a delicious cup of coffee and your loved ones!
Cinnamon Raisin Oat Biscotti (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free)
- 2 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp old fashioned rolled oats optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, mix completely the honey, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Gently fold in raisins.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, then pour the dough onto the paper and make a loaf that is 2 inches and 5-6 inches wide.
- Sprinkle 1 T of rolled oats on top and gently press into the dough.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Slice into 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch slices and lightly toast each side before serving.