My son since turning 6 has decided he does not like vegetables of any kind, or really, anything remotely healthy for that matter. He use to eat huge salads with me, his favorite vegetables was broccoli and sweet potatoe fries were amazing. Then…things changed. Because of this I am always looking for ways to maximize nutrition in the foods he will eat.
This past week I decided to utilize my crockpot and make my own version of a sloppy joe. Unfortunately as I was preparing everything I realized it was 1 minute until I needed to be in the car and on the way to work. EEEEK!!! So I just kind of grabbed and threw in anything that was within reach.
I really didn’t think about it then on my way home I started getting nervous. I’ve never seen any recipe remotely close to what I did. Normally I don’t stress about a recipe that fails but for some reason I was stressed out. Thank goodness it turned out fantastic!! Served on our favorite brand of gluten free bread, Canyon Bakehouse, it was devoured by all. Success!
Gluten Free Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb ground beef I used grass-fed
- 2 carrots peeled
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 3 shallots or 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 handful spinach
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup organic ketchup or 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine or 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- gluten-free bread optional
- In a food processor, process peeled carrots and cauliflower until rice sized.
- In crockpot add in diced tomotoes and ketchup, top with everything else except for the bread. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve on toasted gluten free bread.