Zucchini fritters are a delicious and fun way to get more vegetables into your diet. I grew up eating all kinds of different vegetable fritters and now I’m raising my kids up enjoying them too. My kids love their vegetable “pancakes” and I’m happy they love eating them!
One of the things I love about zucchini is its mild flavor. I use them frequently as a pasta replacement. Just one cup of zucchini is just 36, contains copper, manganese, vitamin C, magnesium, phosphorous, B vitamins, and much more. Using zucchini is a great way to keep your calories low while punching up the nutrition you consume from real foods.
Traditionally, American Fritters are made with an egg, buttermilk, and wheat flour mixture. Well, mine are dairy free (if you use avocado oil), use gluten free oat flour, and can sub 2 flax eggs for chicken eggs. For this recipe you’ll use; 2 6-7 inch long zucchini, 1/3 cup oat flour, 1 scallion, 1 eggs (or two flax eggs), and a tsp of garlic salt.
First, you will use a cheese grater to shred your zucchini. Place on a couple paper towels or a cheese cloth and squeeze out the moisture. Place in a medium sized bowl. Mix in oat flour and garlic salt. Gel flax eggs or scrambled chicken egg, and add to the zucchini mixture. Using a fork mix well. Preheat your skillet on medium heat. Add butter or avocado oil, and coat pan evenly. Make flat patties the size of your palm and add to hot pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side, until lightly brown. Place on a plate until you’ve cooked all the patties. Serve warm.
- 2 zucchini
- 1 scallion
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1 eggs or 2 flax eggs
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- butter for cooking or avocado oil
- Using a cheese grater, shred your zucchini. Use a cheese cloth (or papertowels) to squeeze and remove excess water from the zucchini. Place in a medium sized bowl.
- Finely slice the scallion and add to zucchini.
- Prescramble egg and add to zucchini along with your oat flour and garlic salt. Mix well.
- Heat pan on medium. Once pan is hot, add cooking fat of choice and coat the pan.
- Using your hands, make thin palm size patties and place in hot pan. Flatten with your spatula.
- Cook each side for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.