Ginger snaps are a Christmas time favorite. While many grain free cookies taste delicious, their texture can be offputting to those who don’t eat “healthy”. When we bring desserts to a cookie party or as gifts for our friends and neighbors, we want them to enjoy the same treats we do. This recipe achieves just that. It has the texture of a gluten containing cookie, the bite that comes with ginger, and cinnamon-y goodness. I use a combination of almond flour and tapioca starch and you can make them with or without eggs!
Ginger Snaps Recipe
For this recipe you’ll need finely ground almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder or soda (depending on if you want fluffy or flat cookies), salt, ginger powder, cinnamon powder, allspice, maple sugar (like this one), coconut oil or unsalted butter, egg or flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax meal with 3 tbsp warm water and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes), vanilla, and molasses. You can also top them with a sprinkle of sugar on top for a little extra oomph.
Then you bake for 12-15 minutes. Boom, ginger snaps. They are absolutely delicious with dissolve in your mouth goodness that will remind you of the cookies you enjoyed growing up.
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tsp baking powder or 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp allspice
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 1/3 cup softened coconut oil or butter
- 1 large egg or 1 flax "egg"
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp molasses
- additional sugar for tops of cookies if desired
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the almond and tapioca flours, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and allspice.
- In a separate bowl, add your sugar, coconut oil or butter, egg, vanilla extract, and molasses. Mix with a hand mixer on low. Once well mixed, add to your dry ingredients and gently mix completely.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet, use a small spoon and make into 2-inch sized balls. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven, and place cookies on a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.