Summer has officially started in Phoenix. The forecast says we are in the 100’s every day this week. This means I have very little desire to use my oven and want to eat foods that are cooling. It also means we will be hanging out in the pool pretty much every day. The kids are excited!
Today’s southwest salad with avocado and shrimp is a modified version of my Quinoa Shrimp Fiesta Salad from last summer. Back in January I decided to reduce the grains we have in our diet and up our intake of veggies and healthy fats. It has worked out well for us so far. This salad satisfies that criteria and boy is it yummy.
This is perfect for a summer cook-out. It’s cool, refreshing, healthy, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, and most of all, really tasty. Pairs well with chips too.
Grain Free Southwest Salad with Avocado and Shrimp
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 container grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 2 haas avocados
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 25 pre cooked small shrimp,thawed and diced
- salt, to taste
- Using a food processor, or using a knife and cutting board, fine chop carrot, bell pepper, cucumber, jalapeno, onion and cilantro. Place in a large bowl.
- Cut grape tomatoes into quarters.
- Cut avocados into 1/2 pieces.
- Add tomatoes, avocado, shrimp, EVOO, lemon juice and salt. Mix well. Cover and store in the fridge.