If you’ve been looking for a new salad to enjoy this summer, I got you covered. This is my new favorite. I made this while having dinner with a good friend and we both loved it. It’s a grilled vegetable salad. You can enjoy it with the veggies hot off the grill, or cut them up, stick them in the fridge, and enjoy them within a couple of days. It’s up to you but I know you’re going to enjoy it as much as we did.
Grilled Vegetable Salad Recipe
For this salad, I used a carton of arugula lettuce, 1 eggplant, 1 yellow squash, 1 zucchini, 1 bell pepper, 1/2 of an onion, fresh basil (optional but delicious), and crumbled goat cheese. I cut off the top of the eggplant and cut it into 4 steak like slices from top to bottom. Then I cut off the top of both the yellow squash and zucchini and cut in half length-wise. Then I removed the top and seeds from the bell pepper and cut it into quarters. Then I cut the onion in half and then in half again. I coated them all lightly with olive oil and salt. Then placed on a hot grill and cooked for 4-5 minutes on each side. You can cook them longer if you prefer softer vegetables. I like a little crunch with mine.
I removed them from the grill and let them cool for a few minutes while we waited for the rest of our dinner to cook. Then in a large bowl, I placed 4 handfuls of arugula and cut the grilled vegetables into bite-sized pieces, and added them to the bowl. Then I added some fresh chopped basil and crumbled goat cheese. I topped it off with my balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Any fresh herb would do but that is what we had on hand and it was delicious.
What I love most about this salad and most of my recipes, is that the most simple is often the most flavorful. Eating healthy isn’t as boring, complicated, or expensive as we tend to believe. This is reaffirmed to me so often when I’m creating recipes.
Grilled Vegetable Salad
- 4 handfuls arugula
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped herbs
- 1 eggplant
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 onion
- extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil enough to coat the vegetables
- Salt sprinkle it on
- Preheat your grill to 400-450 degrees.
- Cut off the top of the eggplant, then cut into 1 inch (ish) thick steaks, lightly coat with oil of choice and sprinkle with salt. Set aside on a plate.
- Cut off the tops and bottoms of your yellow squash and zucchini and cut in half lengthwise (top to bottom). Lightly coat with oil of choice and sprinkle with salt. Add to the plate with the eggplant.
- Remove the top and seeds from your bell pepper, cut into quarters, lightly coat with oil and salt. Place on the platter with the other vegetables.
- Take half of an onion and remove the outer skin and top layer. Then cut in half again. Lightly coat with oil and salt.
- Place all vegetables on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes each side or until as soft as you prefer your vegetables to be.
- Once cooked to your desired doneness, remove from the grill and set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- While cooking, get a big salad bowl and add 4 handfuls of arugula, chop the fresh herbs and sprinkle in.
- Cut grilled veggies into bite-sized pieces and add to the salad. Top with crumbled goat cheese and let everyone add their own amount of dressing.