I just love a good stuffed zucchini boat. By taking advantage of the foods that are in season you will maximize your budget, have better tasting food, and get a bigger nutritional punch. Zucchini has a mild taste even those who “don’t like vegetables” will enjoy this dish. I like to use ground turkey lightened up with onion, kale, and mushrooms mixed with a delicious blend of spices for this particular dish.
To make the boats, you will chop off the tops of the zucchini where the stems attach. Then slice in half length wise. From there you will use a spoon to scoop out the “seedy” portion of the zucchini. Set aside in a bowl because you’ll use this later. Lightly coat with olive oil and salt, then place the hollowed side face down into a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake on 350 for 15-20 minutes.
While the zucchini is baking, you will place the leftover zucchini, kale, onion, and mushrooms into your food processor. Process until chopped into small pieces. In a large pan, add olive oil and your ground turkey. Brown turkey for 5 minutes, stirring often, then add in vegetables and seasonings. Cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off heat and remove from the burner. Once zucchini has cooked for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip over. Fill the boats with your meat mixture and place back into the over uncovered for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving!
Ground Turkey and Kale Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 small-medium sized zucchini
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 bunch dinosaur kale stems removed
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 container pre sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350. Take your zucchini, cut off the top and bottom. Slice in half length wise.
- Take your zucchini, cut off the top and bottom. Slice in half length wise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the seed portion and set aside in a small bowl.
- Place the "boats" skin down into a baking pan, cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- While zucchini is baking, start browning the turkey in the olive oil in a medium sized pan.
- Take your vegetables, including the parts of the zucchini you scooped out earlier, and dice them into small pieces using either a knife or a food processor.
- Once meat has been cooking 5 minutes, add the veggies and seasonings. Mix well. You want the meat to crumbled into small pieces. Cook another 5 minutes, until there is all the meat has cooked.
- Take your zucchini out of the oven, uncover and fill the boats with your veggie/meat mixture. Bake for another 15 minutes uncovered.