Cold, cloudy winter days are few and far between here in Phoenix (until this winter) and most definitely need a warm, flavorful soup. I have to tell you a secret. Before today I’ve always felt tomato soups was watery ketchup. Definitely not my favorite. Despite this opinion, I am always open to trying to creating recipes I do enjoy.
The whole reason I decided to give this recipe a go is that I went to a really cool event called Produce On Wheels. There I bought 70 pounds of produce for $12. It was amazing! However, I think 40 of those pounds were tomatoes. This gave me more than enough resources to create a recipe I would like! One of my best friends and I worked together to create this fantastic, creamy tomato soup.
For this soup, you will need 8 ounces of chicken bone broth (vegetable stock will work fine as well), 10 large roma tomatoes, 1/4 white onion, olive oil, 4 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1 haas avocado (skin and seed removed), and 1 tsp sea salt. So simple yet amazing. You’ll also need a large oven-safe skillet (I used my huge cast iron pan) or lipped baking sheet, and either a standing blender or an immersion blender.
First, preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Remove the area that attached to the stem then cut into quarters and place on your oven safe dish. Chop your onion into large pieces and place with the tomatoes. I found it helpful to squeeze under the tomatoes as they cook faster than the tomatoes will and might burn. Drizzle liberally with olive oil and place in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes on the top shelf. You’ll remove the tomatoes once they are completely soft. I like mine to brown on the very top edges. Once the tomatoes are roasted add your bone broth, garlic, tomatoes, onion, nutritional yeast, avocado (removed from seed and skin) and salt to your blender or a large pot (if you are using an immersion blender). Blend until smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes. Garnish with pepitas if you’d like before serving!
Homemade Dairy-Free Creamy Tomato Soup
- 10 roma tomatoes
- 1/4 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 haas avocado
- 8 ounces chicken bone broth
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (F).
- Take your roma tomatoes and emove parts attached to stem then cut into quarters. Place on your oven safe dish.
- Chop onion into large pieces and place under the tomatoes to prevent burning.
- Drizzle tomatoes and onions with olive oil and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Until easily pierced with a fork and the edges slightly browning.
- Once that is done, place all ingredients in a blender (avocado flesh removed from skin and seed), or in a pot, and blend for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Serve warm or store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 30 days.