I am in love with these honey ginger chicken wings! When I first went gluten free, chicken wings were on the “can’t eat those” list. I never made them myself and restaurants use flour on theirs. Then I got a craving. My first homemade wings recipe was just two ingredients, simple and delicious. You can find that recipe here. As I’ve grown in my cooking and recipe developing skills, I’ve become more adventurous. It’s been really fun! (And delicious.)
I initially wanted to create a honey garlic wing recipe. These turned out so good I had to rename it. Garlic definitely isn’t the focal point of flavor in this recipe. Ginger has become a recent favorite of mine. Not only does it taste great, it’s a truly healing food. Did you know that:
- Ginger has over 40 known pharmacological actions including being antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-parasitic and anti-inflammatory
- Ginger consumed daily has been shown to reduce muscle soreness, headaches, joint pain and even menstrual pain
- Taken daily ginger can reduce pain associated with arthritis up to 40% making it a great replacement for NSAIDs.
Pretty awesome stuff and you only need a thumbnail size slice daily to get those benefits according to Dr. Mercola.
You can make these on the grill or in the oven, they are great either way. The longer they marinate the better the flavor. I highly recommend marinating them for at least 2 hours but overnight is best.
Honey Ginger Chicken Wings
- 2 lb chicken wings
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 inch fresh minced ginger
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- In a bowl, mix together all ingredients except the chicken wings.
- Place chicken wings into a gallon size zipblock bag or other container of choice.
- Pour in marinade. Let marinade for desired length of time, but at least 2 hours.
- For the oven, preheat to 425 degrees. Cook for 20 minutes, flip and cook for another 20 minutes.
- On the grill, cook for a total of 15 minutes, flipping often.
5 thoughts on “Honey Ginger Chicken Wings”
Wow! So healthy, simple and looks delicious! Thanks for sharing all the added health benefits! I look forward to trying these wings!
These look and sound absolutely amazing! It is recipes like this that make me wish my husband wasn’t deathly allergic to poultry, but next time we entertain, this will definitely be making the menu! I love the ginger and honey combo. This is such a great example of how what we eat can contribute to our overall health in many different ways. Thank you for sharing! <3
Awesome recipe! I enjoy eating chicken drumsticks almost every week with a different sauce or spice on them. The organic drumsticks have more meat on them than the wings and they are usually pretty inexpensive compared to breasts and other cuts. I also keep the bones to make broth! This is my recipe next week! Thank you!
I’m a huge fan of wings too!
We love this recipe Marian. We especially appreciate the focus on ginger over garlic. Your comments on the antiinflammatory effects of ginger are spot on. Thank you for this important helpful/healthful post.