Contemplating giving up smoking? Discover the reasons why you should today…
Everybody knows that smoking is bad for them. However, there is this general feeling that “it won’t happen to me.” People tend to only associate the risks with lung cancer. Nevertheless, there are so many detrimental effects of smoking. Thus, let’s delve deeper and discover why giving up smoking is imperative.
- Say hello to infections – Smoking actually weakens the body’s natural defense system.
- You’ll look better – The chemicals in a cigarette are extremely damaging for an individual’s skin. As they restrict blood flow, wrinkles and sagginess creeps on people a lot quicker than they’d expect. And that’s without even mentioning the yellow teeth and fingernails.
- It makes you weaker – Smoking can actually weaken your muscles. It places carbon monoxide in your system. This has the result of stopping your muscles from getting their usual amount of oxygen for energy utilization.
- Non-restorative sleep – Smokers are four times more likely to have a non-restorative sleep in relation to those who do not smoke. This means that even if you have had a long night’s sleep you can wake up feeling groggy.
- Damaging to your vision – There is research that indicates a strong link between smoking and eye disease.
- Your children are more likely to smoke – If you smoke your child is 3.2 times more likely to pick up on the habit.
- Detrimental to your bones – Last but not least, smoking can seriously increase the risk of getting osteoporosis. This is because it weakens the body’s scaffolding. The risk of hip fractures also increases.
Effective ways to give up smoking and become a happier and healthier you!
The damaging effects of smoking are known by all. However, the problem is; giving up smoking is not easy. Kicking a habit is one of the most difficult things an individual will ever do in their life. Nevertheless, it is also one of the most rewarding. Read on to discover ways to give up smoking that will help you break the habit once and for all…
Practice relaxation techniques
People often smoke when they are stressed. Think about it. You’re arguing with someone and you say, I can’t deal with this right now. I’m going outside for a smoke. You literally leave a stressful situation, take deep breaths, think about it, then go back in calmer. Therefore, by finding alternative methods for relaxation and de-stressing you will counteract the need for a cigarette. You already know what to do, you just need to do the same habit without the cancer stick. Also, why not give yoga a go? Or try your hand at some breathing exercises?
Generate a smoking timetable
You can’t just wake up one day and decide ‘”right, no more cigarettes!” – This is the most difficult way to quit. Instead, make yourself a smoking timetable. Set a date for quitting and set milestones prior to this whereby you will reduce the amount you have per day. For example, you could look for cheap vaping deals, moving from smoking, to vaping, to giving up completely.
Avoid smoking triggers
There are instances whereby you are more likely to smoke than you would have been. For example, a lot of individuals smoke whilst they are on the telephone. Make sure your hands are occupied. Grab a piece of paper and start doodling.
Talk to others in the same position
Finally, support is imperative. You will need to make your family and friends aware of how important giving up smoking is to you. Nonetheless, talking to people who understand the cravings you experience is just as imperative. There are plenty of online forums to help you with this.