There are times that Chinese take-out sounds amazing. When it comes to food allergies as diverse as they are in our home, it is easier to stay home and create something amazing. This paleo shrimp lo mein recipe is a winner!
A couple of my favorite kitchen essentials are a Mandolin Slicer and a Spiralizer. They are time saving and allow for easier creativity in the kitchen. I highly recommend the investment but it is not necessary. You can make zoodles with a vegetable peeler and a sharp knife with a steady hand can chop veggies.
Using vegetables for noodles significantly reduces the calories per serving (if you count calories) and increases nutrition. I have found that one medium zucchini is a good amount of zoodles for one person. The sauce is slightly sweet with the garlic and ginger rounding it out nicely keeping the sauce light and flavorful. Totally hits the spot when you have a craving.
This recipe is gluten free, grain free, paleo, nut free, and has a soy free option.
Paleo Shrimp Lo Mein
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cups snow peas
- 4 carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 green onions
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos or tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp gluten free oyster sauce or fish sauce works also
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch or corn starch
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 lb thawed peeled pre cooked medium shrimp
- First, prep your veggies. Peel and thinly slice carrots, thinly slice scallions, mince ginger and garlic. Spiralize zucchini to make noodles (or use your vegetable peeler.)
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together coconut aminos, oyster sauce, honey and arrowroot starch.
- In a wok or large pan, heat on medium-high until hot. Add sesame oil and quickly add all veggies except zoodles. Stir fry for 2-4 minutes.
- Add in zoodles, ginger, garlic, shrimp and sauce to vegetables. Cook until Shrimp is warmed. Remove from heat and place into a serving dish.
2 thoughts on “Paleo Shrimp Lo Mein”
WOW this looks awesome too!!! We love shrimp and I’m adding this to our recipe book! Ty for sharing <3
This is a favorite of ours!