School is almost out, the temperature is climbing, and stone fruits are coming into season!
In my CSA box last week I got peaches and nectarines, cilantro, tomatoes, and much more. I am excited for a change in produce and for enjoying many of my summer favorites including avocado caprese. This particular combination delivered to me inspired me to create a new salsa. I already have a mango salsa in my free gift when you sign up for my newsletter, but every fruit lends a different flavor. I did not disappoint myself with this new salsa. It is fantastic on a light flavored fish, chicken, steak or eaten alone with a spoon.
Peach Pico De Gallo Recipe
For this simple recipe, you will need 2 ripe peaches, 1 jalapeno, 1 roma tomato, 2 limes, 1/4 cup rough chopped cilantro, and a 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion. If you want to bring out the heat of the jalapeno, you can add a teaspoon of honey. You will need a medium sized bowl, sharp knife, cutting board, and a lime juicer.
First up, cut your peaches in half, twist and remove from the seed. If that doesn’t work, then use your knife and cut the peach off of the seed like an apple. Then cut into small pieces. Put in your bowl. Next up, chop up your tomato. You can use other types of tomatoes but they have more seeds than the roma tomatoes do. For the jalapeno, I wear gloves to chop it up. If you want more heat, leave in more seeds, if you want less heat, completely avoid the seeds or leave just a little bit of them. Rough chop your cilantro and finely chop your red onions. Add everything to the bowl. Using your hand juicer (like this one), juice the limes over the bowl. If you don’t have a juice, you will have a tough time getting the juice out the limes by hand. They are nothing like lemons, unfortunately. Add honey if you want a little more heat to peek through. Mix and serve. Keep in an airtight container in your fridge up to 3 days.
Peach Pico De Gallo
- 2 ripe peaches
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/4 cup rough chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 limes
- 1 tsp honey optional
- Cut your peaches in half, twist and remove from the seed. Then cut into small pieces. Put in your bowl.
- Chop up your tomato.
- Cut the top off of the jalapeno, cut in half, keep as many seeds as you deem appropriate for your taste buds, then chop and add to the bowl along with the tomatoes.
- Rough chop enough cilantro to fit into a 1/4 cup measuring cup, then add to the bowl.
- Finely chop 1/4 cup red onion and add to the salsa.
- Using a hand juicer, squeeze lemons over the bowl. Add honey if desired. Mix with a spoon and serve!