This dish was inspired by vegetables fresh from a friends garden. I love to make my own spaghetti sauce and then
I had this zucchini and figured I would add it to my usual recipe and see what happened. It was delicious! Added some crushed red pepper for a little more punch and mixed with
quinoa. It was a big hit and couldn’t wait to share! Quinoa is a complete protein and packed full of vitamins and minerals. This is a complete, delicious meal and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20-25minutes
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa (Learn how to make quinoa with this helpful video)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 heirloom tomatoes (or 4 roma tomatoes)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 8 sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 package fresh basil
- Optional: 2 tsp italian seasoning
- salt, to taste
- Rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer with hot water for 3 minutes then put
- in a pot and add 2.5 cups water. Cook like rice, bring to a boil then turn down to medium low, cover and let cook until most water is gone.
- While quinoa is in the pot, chop onion, zucchini and tomatoes. I like to use a food processor to chop my veggies. Huge time saver.
- Mince garlic.
- Slice dried tomatoes.
- First saute onion, about 5 minutes in add zucchini and cook an additional 3-5 minutes depending on how soft or firm you like your veggies. Add tomatoes, garlic, crushed red pepper, and seasoning for 3 minutes. Add basil and turn off heat.
- In a big enough bowl, put in quinoa then add veggies and stir. Add salt to taste when you go to eat it.