I absolutely love entertaining. Life is so busy, I love having all my friends in one place, enjoying good food, and each others company. Sausage stuffed mushrooms are simple to prepare, extremely delicious, and always a hit. My favorite part is that they can be prepared a day ahead then just placed in the oven before the part. Anything that can be prepped ahead of time is always a winner in my book.
For this recipe you will need 24 large button or baby portobello mushrooms. You also need two shallots, four cloves of garlic, a third pound mild italian ground sausage, and quarter cup fresh parsley. I am a huge fan of garlic and use it liberally. If you are less of a fan, go ahead and use less. They will still taste great!
Wash and pat dry the mushrooms and remove the stems, setting them aside. Preheat a large skillet on medium heat and your oven on 325. Finely chop the mushroom stems, shallots, garlic and parsley. Add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to your pan, then toss in shallots and garlic. Stir and let cook for 3 minutes. Add sausage and brown for 5 minutes. Add in chopped mushroom stems. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in chopped parsley.
Lightly coat your mushroom caps in olive oil (I like to use my oil mister) and salt. Fill each cap with 1 tablespoon of the sausage mixer. Baked until mushrooms are tender and the meat mixture is browned. About 25 minutes. (This really depends on your oven.)
Remove and let cool before serving.
- 24 mushroom caps about 2 inches in size
- 1/3 pound mild italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Preheat large skillet on medium heat.
- Wash and pat dry mushrooms. Remove stems and set aside.
- Finely chop mushroom stems, shallots, garlic, and parsley.
- Add 1 tbsp evoo to your skillet. Toss in shallots and garlic. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add sausage to skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped mushroom stems and cook another 5 minutes or until sausage is cooked completely.
- Lightly coat your pan with olive oil. Then place mushrooms open side up. Lightly coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Fill each mushroom with one tablespoon-ish amount of sausage mixture. Place in the oven for 25 ish minutes. Until mushrooms are soft and sausage has lightly browned on top.