I am in love with these Strawberry Orange slow-melting popsicles! There is nothing better than cold popsicles on hot summer days. What is not so fun is getting covered in sticky juice while enjoying them. I have a really great trick to help slow down the melt, along with a special bonus that this ingredient is an easy way to slip in a little gut healing supplement as well. Any guesses?
GELATIN! Specifically gelatin from pastured cows, like this one or this one. Gelatin not only slows down the melting in popsicles making them a more enjoyable treat, it also helps keep our skin looking young, aids in joint health, and is great for keeping our gut lining healthy. I don’t know about you but I want all of those things for me! In the summer I just can’t bring myself to drink bone broth. Here in Phoenix it is just way too hot, so this is a great way to continue nourishing my body (and helping me look younger than I am. *wink*) In all seriousness though, it is an important addition to every diet, especially for kids. We want to give them the building blocks they need for lifelong health.
I’m always trying to slip real food, fiber, and nutrients into our diets while making sure it is delicious enough that the kids enjoy it down to every last bite. Strawberry and orange is a vibrant combination the kids and I love. Lucky for me, my kids are trained to enjoy green foods as well. So normally I would throw some kale or spinach into these as well, however, it is not a requirement. The whole point is for your kids, and you, to enjoy your treat.
Slow Melting Strawberry Orange Popsicles
- 16 oz ripe strawberries
- 1 navel orange
- 1 cup baby spinach optional
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp grass fed beef gelatin
- In a small pot, warm your orange juice on medium heat until it starts to steam but not boil.
- In a small glass dish, add gelatin and then 1-2 tbsp of warmed OJ to premelt the gelatin.
- Add into the pot and stir until dissolved completely.
- In your blender, add strawberries, orange, spinach if you choose, and the gelatin-OJ mixture. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into your popsicle molds and freeze.