Who says a healthy dinner has to be complicated and expensive? I don’t! This Summer Garden Hash with Chicken Sausage is a one-pot dinner, uses in season veggies, and flavorful chicken sausage to fill you up and tantalize your tastebuds. Yup, vegetables can totally make you do the OMG YUM eye roll into the back of your head thing. This one will totally do it for you.
SUMMER GARDEN HASH WITH CHICKEN SAUSAGE
For this recipe, you’ll want 5-6 small red or golden potatoes, a zucchini, button mushrooms, onion, garlic, and cabbage. Plus 4 chicken sausage (I used the garlic herb ones from Trader Joe’s), olive oil for cooking, and for a huge flavor jump, ranch dressing and honey mustard. I used Primal Kitchen’s Paleo Ranch dressing and Trader Joe’s honey mustard.
Cut up the potatoes and zucchini into small bite-size pieces for quick cooking. Set aside in separate piles. Cut the mushrooms into quarters. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Shred the cabbage.
Preheat your large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add potatoes and cover with a lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes, open the lid and stir. Then recover for another 3-4 minutes. Add onions, mushroom, and zucchini, stir in and cover for another 3-4 minutes. Stir and cover for another 3-4 minutes. While that’s cooking, slice your chicken sausage into bite-sized pieces. Add sausage along with a couple of pinches of salt and garlic to veggies, stir so that the sausage is touching the bottom of the skillet and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Shred cabbage, add to the pot and stir in. Cook until the cabbage starts to soften but still has some crunch. (If you don’t like crunch just cook it a little longer.) Plate and drizzle with ranch then honey mustard. Voila! Dinner is ready in under 30 minutes and only one pan to wash.
If this sauce combo doesn’t sound appealing, add whatever sauce you like. You can add more salt and some raw sauerkraut. You can skip the mustard…or the ranch. Whatever you like. I like using a variety of sauces for variety.
Summer Garden Hash with Chicken Sausage
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 small red potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cabbage 3 heaping handfuls ish
- 1/4 cup sliced onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 zucchini
- 4 ounces button mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 chicken sausages
- Ranch dressing
- Honey Mustard
- Preheat a skillet on medium heat. Let get hot while you chop the potatoes and zucchini into bite-sized pieces.
- Add olive oil and potatoes. Stir and cover for 3-4 minutes. Quarter mushrooms, dice onions, mince garlic, and shred cabbage.
- Stir and cover again for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, and onions, stir and cover for 3-4 minutes.
- While that's cooking, slice up the chicken sausage into bite-size pieces. Add to veggie mixture with salt and garlic, stir in so that the sausage pieces are touching the bottom of the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Shred the cabbage (about 1/4 of a small head) into 3 ish handfuls and add to the pot. Stir in and cook another 3-4 minutes or until cabbage is to desired softness.
- Plate and drizzle with ranch and honey mustard. (Or sauces of choice)