When I first attempted to switch to a natural deodorant it was…..smelly. I just jumped ship and grabbed a cheap aluminum-free deodorant and put it on. I knew that aluminum built up in the glands of our armpits and it was extremely hazardous to our health and wanted to stop adding to it. It was quite the experience and it could have gone so much better if I had known about armpit detoxing.
What is armpit detoxing?
Armpit detoxing is when you take the time to help draw out the aluminum and other toxins stored in the glands of your armpits. Mainstream antiperspirant contains:
- Aluminum salts which block the sweat glands. It is absorbed into the bloodstream and aluminum exposure has been linked to the development of Alzheimer’s. It also interferes with your estrogen levels and when those are off, breast and prostate cancer may develop.
- Parabens, while are a preservative and inhibit mold growth among other things, it acts like estrogen in the body. Excess estrogen causes acne, PMS, ovarian cysts, irregular cycles, mood disruptions, and again, has been linked to be a contributing factor to breast and prostate health.
- Propylene Glycol, when used daily, has been linked to damage in the central nervous system, heart, and liver. It is also a skin irritant, especially in sensitive individuals. Most deodorants contain about 50% propylene glycol and as little as 2% has been shown to cause damage to the body when used daily. (Who doesn’t use it daily?)
- Triethanolamine (TEA) and diethanolamine (DEA) which are absorbed into the body through the skin and can affect your liver and kidneys. They are also known carcinogens. These chemicals have been found to be so harmful that Europe has banned them from being in any products in their countries.
YIKES! I know no one wants to have their clothes with sweat rings under their arms and that’s why we use “the strong stuff.” Yet, the natural and healthier options can work just as well after your remove the build-up in your sweat glands and balance the PH under there. However, without doing a pit detox it’ll be a smelly transition.
HOW TO DO AN ARMPIT DETOX
Now here’s where people get weirded out. It’s normal to think about detoxing our body. 3 day juice cleanse? Cool! (Not really and you can watch my workshop on that here to learn why but now let’s get back on topic.) But when it comes to a place like our armpits, it seems “out there.” Think about it though. You’ve been wearing antiperspirant since you were probably 11 years old. That’s a long time to apply an aluminum and toxic chemical-filled product to an area of your body once to twice per day. It builds up and it takes time to get it out. A detox can speed that up.
An armpit detox takes 3 steps.
First, buying a natural deodorant to start the transition. I like Schmidt’s Charcoal and Magnesium because it’s detoxifying and gentle. I haven’t had anyone in my circles develop a rash from this one.
Second, the actual pulling things out. For this, you will need:
- 1 tbsp bentonite clay
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp water
Mix it all together well and apply it to your armpits for 5-20 minutes. I recommend 5 the first time then slowly work your way up. Do this weekly for 4-6 weeks. This is not something you will need to do consistently long term.
Third, slowly make the switch. Some people like to use the natural stuff on the days they don’t work out, then use the aluminum filled stuff on the days they work out. Learn how I made the switch by reading this post.
Why an Armpit Detox is Awesome
When people do an armpit detox they noticed immediately:
- Less odor (with and without deodorant applied)
- Less sweat in general (total score)
- Don’t react to the natural deodorant (many people get a rash the first time they apply it due to the chemical reaction)
All of these are total pluses in my book and solid reasons to go ahead and give this a try.
Have you tried this? Share your experience in the comments below!