Winter is almost over and with that comes a host of cleansing foods, detoxing us from the heavier foods of winter that keep us warm. Eating seasonally is one of the best ways to keep a reasonable grocery budget, have great tasting meals and get the most nutrition from your food. As much as I love winter squashes, soups and heavier meals, I am more than ready for the lighter, cleansing produce that comes with spring.
The produce I’m going to list is in season March-May, maybe some into June. Obviously you will find a lot of these year round, however, they taste their best during their natural season.
Asparagus (all colors)
Red Leaf Lettuce
As you can see, there are a lot of options and new foods to try. I find it exciting. My favorite spring vegetable recipe is roasted asparagus. It’s simple and my kids love it.
- One bunch of asparagus
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Take a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper
- In a single layer, evenly lay out your asparagus
- With an oil mister, mist your veggies with EVOO. You can drizzle it as well but will have a less even coverage.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until desired softness.
You can eat them like this as a side, chop and toss into salad or quinoa or into a pasta dish with rice noodles. There are many possibilities!
Live Healthy and Whole,
Image via: bottlebranch.com