Fall is my absolute favorite time of the year. In most parts of the country it starts to cool off, the leaves change colors, and you get to bundle up in super cute jackets and boots. Here in Phoenix, we can drive with the windows down in the morning before it heats right back up to the 100s. So I just daydream of my college days in East Tennessee and stock up on winter squash and sweet potatoes while I wear ankle boots with a pencil skirt and a 3/4 sleeve shirt to feel like I’m participating in all the fun fall fashion. This Fall Inspired Kale and Squash Salad embodies the weather of Phoenix with the love of fall. It’s a blend of massaged kale, warm roasted acorn squash and pine nuts with and olive oil-orange dressing. It is simple and amazing.
To learn how to massage kale and why it’s awesome, watch this video of another kale salad of mine:
Fall Inspired Kale Salad
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 bunch dinosaur kale
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup goat cheese optional
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice from one and a half orange
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds and strings. Cut into slices then remove the outer skin. Chop into 1-2 inch cubes.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). I use a mister to accomplish this.
- Place your acorn squash on the paper in a single layer. Lightly coat with evoo and salt.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes. Flipping half way through.
- Once acorn squash is soft and slightly browned, remove from oven to let cool.
- While the squash is cooling, remove leaves from the stems of your kale and chop into 2-3 inch pieces. Place into a large bowl.
- Add olive oil and juice from 1 1/2 navel oranges. Massage for about 5 minutes, until there is no longer a crunch sound and the kale turns a darker green.
- Add in squash, diced red onion pieces, goat cheese, pine nuts, and a little salt. Mix gently and taste. Add salt if needed.