Once a month I get together with at least one girl friend, Anne (who makes these amazing bags over at Urban Anne Bags) and we make 3-4 recipes completely from scratch. We love it because it’s fun, we get to make recipes we might not normally make and we get to hang out and catch up.
With it being so hot here already (over 105!), we really didn’t want to heat up the house or sit outside with the barbecue. Neither of us had done spring rolls before and thought it would be fun. I wanted the added challenge of making a nut and soy free sauce for both the spring rolls and the asian style slaw (recipe here). It was our first time ever working with rice paper wraps so the first couple weren’t pretty. They still tasted great though!
We called the night a huge success. Simple, few ingredients and delicious.
With this recipe, you can really do as many or as few rolls as you want. This is just what we did for the two of us. All you need for the rolls are rice paper wraps, precooked and peeled medium sized shrimp, avocado, shredded carrot, cucumber, cilantro, and mint. Follow the instructions for preparing the wraps then layer in the vegetables, herbs, and shrimp and wrap them up.
The sauce has a lot of ingredients but you will use similar ones for the slaw. You need coconut aminos, lime juice, chili sauce, rice vinegar, sun butter, fresh ginger, and for some heat, crushed red pepper. Mix them well in a small bowl and divide as needed. It’s SO good.
Gluten Free Shrimp Spring Rolls with a Nut and Soy Free Dipping Sauce
- For The Rolls
- 6 pieces of rice paper
- 24 medium sized pre cooked and peel shrimp thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots we used the pre shredded in a bag
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Dipping Sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp sun butter
- 1 tbsp gluten free chili sauce
- juice from one lime
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp minced ginger fresh or from a tube
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- First make your sauce. In a small glass bowl, take all your ingredients and mix well. Cover and set aside.
- Cut your cucumber and avocado is thin strips, fine chop your mint and cilantro and get your shredded carrots out of the bag and ready to grab.
- Take a large bowl and fill it with very warm water. Take one piece of rice paper at a time and place in the bowl and cover with water for 5-7 seconds.
- Take that one piece of rice paper and let sit submerged in the bowl of water for 5-7 seconds. Take it out of the water and lay on a large flat surface. Let sit for a few seconds. Then in the middle of the circle, length wise, layer in order: 4 pieces of shrimp, 2 slim pieces of cucumber, 2 thin slices of avocado, a little bit of shredded carrots, a tsp or so each mint and cilantro. Take the top of the paper and bring over the ingredients. Then fold in the sides and roll.
- Set aside and start again.