I have this thing where I pick one food that is in season and try to make as many recipes with it as I can. Right now grapefruit is in season and I love grapefruit. I asked my friends on facebook for ideas and one that stood out was a healthier grapefruit curd. I have never heard of curd, nor have I tried it before. I found out it’s kind of like a fruity pudding that people use to put on toast or dip cookies into. I was intrigued so decided to try it out.
I pulled up Pinterest and looked through a ton of recipes. Every single recipe was different and most contained a TON of sugar. I played around in my kitchen and developed a recipe that I feel is creamy and just sweet enough. It is a great alternative to maple syrup on waffles and pancakes, and I like that it is a tasty way to add more healthy fats into my day. Even though it sounds a little weird, it really is delicious! I am so glad it was recommended.
Grapefruit Curd with Honey
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp celtic sea salt if you used unsalted butter
- In a small pan, mix eggs and honey together completely. Once mixed add grapefruit juice and mix thoroughly.
- Turn heat on low. Once warm, add butter 1 tablespoon at a time until completely melted. Add in salt.
- Turn to medium-low and stir until it's thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not make it too hot or you'll end up with a sweetened egg scramble.
- Pour into an airtight glass container. Will last up to 10 days in the fridge.