If you’ve been following me for any length of time you know I’m all about easy meals. Easy meals that use real food, herbs, and spices to be delicious, nourishing, and, to emphasize again, delicious. I’m all about meals being mouthwatering and I hate the stigma that healthy food is bland. It can be, but it doesn’t HAVE to be! In sticking with easy, my rosemary thyme roast chicken and potatoes is as easy and delicious as one can get.
I love this bake for three reasons; I stick it in the oven and forget about it until the timer goes off, it is a one “pot” meal which means less dishes (yay!), and lastly, I get to use the bones to make bone broth!
There’s been some discussion of whether white potatoes are healthy or not. My take is to make sure you don’t eat them daily (moderation is key!), and enjoy them with lots of butter! They offer tons benefits including
- 36% RDA for vitamin B6,
- 26% RDA potassium,
- 22% RDA for vitamin C
- and more
B6 is essential for many reasons including building your cells, brain and nervous system activity, and keeps homocysteine levels low.
So enjoy potatoes every now and then, remember to add butter!
Rosemary-Thyme Chicken and Potato Bake
- 1 whole chicken
- 12-15 fingerling or small red potatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp dried rosemary, divided
- 2 tsp thyme, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice potatoes in half, rough chop onion, and mince garlic. Place in the bottom of your baking dish. Add two tablespoons butter on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle evenly with 2 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp thyme, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Rub 1 tbsp of butter all over chicken and place on top of vegetables. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp cumin.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. After 1 hour and 15 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes, or until skin is slightly crispy and lightly browned.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes then serve.