One of my favorite grains is quinoa (keen-wah). I love the taste, versatility, and protein content. You can learn how to make quinoa and why I think it’s so awesome by watching this video:
One of my favorite things to do is take whatever is in my fridge, throw it together, and see what happens. Sometimes it’s fantastic, sometimes it isn’t.
This warm quinoa salad with asparagus, carrots and tomatoes is a winner. It is refreshing, light, and perfect as the main course, great on top of a bed of baby spinach and arugula, or as a side dish paired with italian seasoned chicken.
Cook one cup quinoa according to directions. Once the water starts to get low, warm up your skillet on medium heat and 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Chop your onion, asparagus, and very thinly slice your carrot, and mince the garlic. Add onions and garlic to hot oil first for 3 minutes. Then add in the zucchini and carrots and cook for 8 minutes, stirring often. Add in herbs and tomatoes and cook for 1 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in cooked quinoa. Serve warm or cold.
This recipe is gluten free and vegan.
Warm Quinoa Salad with Asparagus, Carrots, and Tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 10 sticks of asparagus
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 roma tomato
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- sea salt to taste
- Cook quinoa according to directions in the video.
- While quinoa is cooking, mince garlic and chop onion.
- Then peel your carrot and slice thinly. Cut the bottoms of your asparagus and throw away. Chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Finally, chop your tomato into 1 inch pieces.
- Warm your large skillet on medium heat and add in evoo.
- Saute garlic and onion for 3 minutes. Stirring frequently. Add in carrot, asparagus and seasonings, cook for 8 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- After 8 minutes, add in tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add in quinoa and salt.