Just in time for the holidays, I have the most delicious bread recipe to share with you! I love using what is in season for cooking. I do this as much as possible. When you cook with what is in season, you’re getting the nutrients you need (lots of vitamin C rich foods grow in the fall/winter months), it saves you a lot of money, and it plain just tastes better. Fruit that is grown out of season just doesn’t taste as good.
I love this recipe for several reasons. It’s flavorful, simple to make, and it’s pretty! Pretty food just plain tastes better. Let’s get to the good stuff, the recipe!
Cranberry-Orange Bread Recipe
You will need: coconut flour, baking powder, sea salt, honey, sugar (optional but adds a little crunch), 1 organic naval orange, fresh or frozen cranberries (dried won’t work in this recipe), eggs, butter or virgin coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Mix the coconut flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl and set aside. In a medium sized bowl, zest the naval orange completely, then cut in half and squeeze the juice from half of the orange into the bowl. The other half you can eat while you are mixing the ingredients. Then add the honey, sugar, eggs, butter, and vanilla extract. Use a hand mixer to blend it all together. Once it’s all mixed up, pour into the dry mixture and mix by hand with a whisk. You do not want to over mix, so the hand mixer is not recommended. Once it’s all mixed together, fold in the cranberries.
Preheat the oven to 350. Take a bread pan and line with parchment paper. You will probably have to finagle the parchment paper to lay in the pan evenly. The parchment paper is highly recommended because otherwise the bread will stick to the pan and won’t come out. Then you’ll have a crumble versus a bread.
Pour the batter into the parchment paper lined bread pan. Cover with foil and bake for 60 minutes. After 60 minutes, remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes. Turn off the oven, take out the bread and let the bread cool before removing from the pan. This is extremely important. Do not remove from the bread pan until it has cooled. If you do, it’ll fall apart and you’ll have a crumble instead of a bread.
Once it has cooled, grab the parchment paper and gently remove the bread from the bread pan. Slice and enjoy!
- bread pan
- parchment paper
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice juice from 1/2 an orange
- zest from one naval orange
- cup fresh or frozen cranberries not dried
- 1/2 cup softened butter or 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and orange zest.
- In a medium sized bowl, add orange juice, honey, sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs. Mix well.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients while mixing them together.
- Fold in cranberries gently.
- Line your bread pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into the parchment paper lined bread pan and use a spatula or butter knife to smooth out the top of the loaf. It will bake in whatever shape you put in the oven.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes (1 hour).
- After 60 minutes, open the oven door, pull out the bread and remove the foil. Place back into the oven and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before removing from the bread pan. This helps it retain its shape.