I love easy. I love letting little people in the kitchen and reap the rewards of their creative work. This was one of my go to recipes before going gluten free. I’m still on the search for a really great tasting, good texture allergy friendly pita recipe for those of us who can’t have gluten. However, for those who can, you’ll love this recipe. It’s really easy, flexible and hey, who doesn’t love not having to share their pizza? These perfectly portioned pizzas are a hit for kids and adults alike.
- Whole Grain Wheat Pitas for each person (or gluten free english muffin)
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Cheese (I use daiya cheese alternative)
- Optional: Other veggies. I like mushrooms, olives, and artichoke hearts to name some options.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- On each pita, spread around spaghetti sauce, then top with desired toppings.
- Cook for 8-12 minutes straight on the rack.
A few tips:
- Pitas keep great frozen and you can place ingredients straight onto frozen pitas. They take about 3 minutes longer to cook.
- You can use olive oil instead of spaghetti sauce for a “white pizza” and place fresh tomatoes onion and cheese on top
- Place different ingredients in bowls and let kids make their “masterpiece.” It’s really fun and they are so proud of themselves. It’s an edible masterpiece!
- Kids (and adults) might be more willing to try different veggies if it’s part of their “masterpiece.”