This asian style slaw was made to pair with my Shrimp Spring Rolls (recipe here) for a themed dinner event my friends and I had. This recipes makes A LOT which makes it perfect for large barbecues, picnics, and family gatherings.
Cabbage is very healthy and should definitely be a regular at the dinner table. A few of the health benefits of cabbage are:
- Only 44 calories per cup
- It fights colon, breast and stomach cancers
- Rich in vitamins K, C, B vitamins, calcium, iron and choline.
- High in fiber
- Soothes stomach ulcers
You get bang for your buck when you eat cabbage. It’s inexpensive and full of nutrients.
Most recipes call for soy sauce and peanut butter for the sauce. Well for those of us with food allergies, we need other options. I used sunflower seed butter, tahini, and coconut aminos to replace peanut butter and soy sauce, adding in orange and lime juice, some grated ginger, and honey to make a fabulous sauce for the shredded cabbage and carrots. For the best flavor, make this the night before your event. Then the cabbage softens a little and really absorbs all the flavors in the sauce.
Nut and Soy Free Asian Inspired Slaw
- 1/2 cup sun butter
- 2 tbsp honey preferably raw
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 inch ginger, minced about 1 tbsp
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 head green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- In a small bowl, take all ingredients but the cabbage and carrots and whisk together until well mixed. Set aside.
- Shred your head of cabbage and place in a large bowl. Add in shredded carrots and sauce. Mix well.