Chia seeds are amazing and many consider them a superfood. I agree with them! Just 2 tablespoons give us:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s!).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDA.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA.
- Also a decent amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3, Potassium, Vitamin B1 and Vitamin B2.
I love to add them to my smoothies, oatmeal and yogurt. Not only are they nutrient dense, they also help keeps us full and hydrated.
I recently ventured into making my own chia seed puddings and I am hooked. This is a delectable recipe. I am so excited to share this truly healthy dessert with you!
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free (except coconut), soy free, corn free, paleo, and has a vegan option.
Paleo Strawberry-Banana Chia Seed Pudding
- 1 15 oz can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup to make it vegan
- 5 ripe medium sized strawberries remove the tops
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1/4 cup black chia seeds
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon and honey (or maple syrup) until well blended. Set aside.
- In your food processor or blender, blend strawberries and bananas until smooth. Add to coconut milk mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in chia seeds. Cover bowl and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Optional: Before eating, top with 2 tbsp chocolate chips (I use enjoy life mini chocolate chips)